Saturday, April 23, 2011

Clean Vocal Folds

My appointment with the ENT Doctor went really well! I don't have nodes or polyps! My vocal folds are healthy! She said that I have extreme blockage and severe allergies. I will be taking an allergy pill without antihistamine because they dry out your vocal cords. I'm supposed to rinse out my nasal passage using the Nettie pot everyday. I'm also going back on the Pulmicort inhaler. Did you all know that certain inhalers can give singers hoarseness? Crazy?! I'm glad to finally have my health under control. She told me to use this regimen and try it for two weeks, if nothing improves then on to the next option. I can already tell a difference:) I was beyond relieved that there was nothing wrong with my voice.

I found this article - very interesting and very frightening.

Diseases of the Larynx

Normal Larynx

Normal Larynx

  
This is an example of a normal larynx. The true vocal folds are pearly white, they meet in the midline on phonation, and the surrounding structures are light pink. As you view the following examples of diseases of the larynx, you can compare them to this example.

Nodules



  
Nodules are calluses on the vocal folds that occur with improper voice use or overuse. They are most common in children and females.They prevent the vocal folds from meeting in the midline and thus produce an hourglass deformity on closure resulting in a raspy, breathy voice. Most time,s these will respond to appropriate speech therapy. Occasionally (20% of the time), these may persist after intensive speech therapy and will require meticulous microlaryngeal surgery.

Polyps



  
Polyps are benign lesions of the larynx, occurring mostly in adult males, that are usually located on the phonating margin (edge) of the vocal folds and prevent the vocal folds from meeting in the midline. Polyps can interfere with voice production and may produce a hoarse, breathy voice that tires easily. These may respond to conservative medical therapy and intensive speech therapy. If the lesion fails to respond, meticulous microsurgery may be indicated. One of the cofactors in the cause of these lesions may be laryngeal reflux disease.

Laryngitis sicca



  
Laryngitis sicca is caused by inadequate hydration of the vocal folds. Thick, sticky mucus prevents the folds from vibrating in a fluid, uniform manner.
 

Vocal fold hemorrhage


  
Vocal fold hemorrhage is a very rare occurrence that usually is caused by aggressive or improper use of vocal folds (e.g. cheerleading). It is a result of rupture of a blood vessel on the true vocal fold, with bleeding into the tissues of the fold.


Cancer

    
This is an example of a very early cancer of the vocal folds. If these lesions are detected early, they can be treated with either radiation or surgery, with a cure rate approaching 96%.
 



http://www.texasvoicecenter.com/diseases.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love the information, Nathan, thank you and I am sooo glad you found a good ENT physician and were given good help and are free of vocal cord bad problems!
Yeah, Love, Mom