Thursday, June 17, 2010

Next to Loser

Nathan's Post:
I know, I'm not a loser... keep going... you're so great, so talented! But seriously people< when am I going to get an offer?? Or a callback?? Rejection will always be hard. No matter what. I'm starting to get used to it and I hate that! I have been doing really well remaining positive and when I have bad days or days of rejection I will see the bright side or I will smile because of how ridiculous situations can be. Sometimes I feel like Jim Carey in that movie The Truman Show, right at the end when he is trying to escape his world on the boat and the director/creator is hitting him with storms and he shouts, "come on, is that all you got!" I'm becoming immune to rejection. I feel like it's inevitable. Whitney and I will have our great days full of positivity and self motivation and then other days we will literally sit staring at the wall wondering what we could have done differently. I just found out that I didn't get another callback for Next to Normal. Our friend told us that her friend got through the final callbacks and his first audition was the same day as mine. Yes, there are bright sides to this, I won't be going on tour for 9 months, I get to stay with my wife. At the same time though, I feel like the only real opportunities we have as performers are non equity shows, or equity shows that are touring, or equity shows that are no where near where we live. We have no connections to Broadway or any agents that are helping us get there. Who knows where Jim Flynn has been, aka Whitney's agent. We don't know how to network nor do we enjoy going out late at night to socialize. Right now I feel so confused at what I'm doing wrong in those auditions. I felt sooo great about my audition for Next to Normal. Our friends from Elon University seriously, seriously though, get a callback EVERYTIME they audition! AND - more than one of them have gotten great job offers - they don't even live in NY!! They get appointments and they fly down and get jobs!! What is happening?? Now Elon folk who read this, I don't hate you, I envy you, I want to be you:)
Lately I just have the blues every once in awhile and that's okay. I mean it's impossible to be sunny and cheery everyday, I don't mind being the dark clouds. I just want something BIG something GREAT to happen very soon or else I feel like Whitney and I will have to settle for something less great.

Don't be alarmed parents, I'm sorry for throwing a tantrum and I'm so sorry this is depressing to read. I just had to get it out of my system so that I can let it go and carry on with my day. Happy laundry:)

2 comments:

SJonesG said...

Okay, so that post could really upset me but I will try to let it roll off my back cause I too am frustrated that no one has seemingly noticed the talent in front of them... all the while I see clips from Broadway on the Tony's with very sub-par talent. All I can think is that there is a reason and a time and place for everything to come together. Whitney's track record has been "hard to get a job" but when she gets it she "soars to the top" fast, so that's what I'm thinking is happening this time as well. I just know that when she finally gets something her full potential will finally be seen. I think the casting agents much totally look for who "looks" right for the part and not worry about whether they are the best singers/actors. At least that is the way it appears from the outside, so maybe you just havent looked closely enough to what they need, cause we know it's not lack of talent!

Anonymous said...

I feel like crying for you, Nathan and Whitney!
love you always!
Mom/Beth