Blog #6:
Nathan and I are continuing to have a wonderful time here! We have just completed our 3rd week and we have 29 more weeks to go! (But who’s counting?) We have figured out that the EASTERN Cruise is definitely a rockier cruise than the WESTERN cruise. (We alternate each week between Eastern and Western). Some have said that it is rockier because we are farther away from land on this cruise, and also because we have less ports, therefore we have ‘sea days’ more often. This week we had one day where the boat was so rocky everyone looked like they were drunk by the way we were walking down the hallways. J
The day started off normal and we didn’t even notice the movement of the ship, then right around 6:00pm the boat started having swells from left to right, left to right. It was quite comical. And…guess what? We had a show to perform at 7:00pm. All of the cast was backstage getting ready, preparing for a rocky show. Our cast prepared me and Nathan for the show by telling us that it would be harder standing still on stage then when you would be moving or dancing.
Nathan and I said a little prayer before the show because we knew this was going to be a new experience we hadn’t been through before, and we didn’t want to get sea sick or fall on stage. During the first number, we had one girl fall on stage – which Nathan covered really well with a brilliant Ad Lib. The girl who fell was playing ‘Cinderella’, cleaning the floors before the ball, and Nathan was of course playing a ‘Step-Sister.’ After Cinderella fell, Nathan blurted out “Oh! You fell because you missed a spot! Get back to work!” (Good Save, Nathan!)
During one of my numbers I stand on stage and slowly and gracefully walk across the stage to look as if I’m floating, and a there is a timed cue lighting that I have to make sure I get to each mark on stage in order to fall into the pool of light. I made sure to keep a wider stance on the ground and tried to engage my core in order to not fall, but lo and behold – as I started ‘gracefully’ walking to my left, the boat decided to swell to the left, which gently started pushing me faster and faster to the left to where I was doing a nice little skip to Stage Left, right into the darkness - not anywhere near my light. J It was funny.
I think one of the funniest moments of the night was to see the cast as a whole all shift to the right and then shift to the left as the ship rocked us back and forth.
Overall, no one got hurt and it was more comical than anything. A brand new experience for me and Nathan and one that I’m sure we will experience MANY more times in the next 7 months!
P.S.
I am getting bad Bunions. It started about 2 years ago. Boo! It is coming from these horrible dance shoes that I have to wear ALL the time. Therefore, in order to help my feet I where this crazy contraption on my feet. I think its helping...???

2 comments:
Great blog. Boy, I hope I can handle the motion of the ocean. My inner ear is very sensitive.
Love dad.
oh I hate to see your poor little feet in these contraptions. I sure hope they help. Since you are a "singer" in the these shows I would have hoped your feet would get a break from dancing shoes. love and miss you both!!
Post a Comment