Friday, July 30, 2010

ONE LIFE TO LIVE and Callbacks

Yesterday (Thursday) was a pretty great day for Nathan and me.
It started off with a callback that I had for a regional equity theatre's show of THE WIZARD OF OZ. The theatre is called Northern Stage, and I was auditioning for ensemble. I auditioned in May and got a call on this past Sunday that I got a callback for it. (I had almost forgotten I had even auditioned for this show) So, on Wednesday I was asked to sing a song (that means, 16 bars) from my repetoire book for the director, choreographer, and music director. After I sang my song, they asked me to sing a song completely like a munchkin. They said, "pretend like you are in a cartoon, go overboard, the stakes are huge!, a house just landed on a witch!, etc" So...I did. I went a little crazy let's just say. Including...sweeping the floor with my hair, headbanging, singing like a little girl with the squeakiest voice, with a cold. They were all laughing at me...and I thought - wow, I've gone crazy. Haha! But it was such a blast! They had me sing the ENTIRE SONG. (that never happens in auditions) When I was finished, they said "wow...great job! Can you come back tomorrow for another callback? We'd like to see you dance." I said, 'OF COURSE!'
I arrived to the studio at 9:30am on Thursday to start stretching...the dance audition was at 10am. There were about 20 girls in total that were called back to dance. We did a really cute dance where we were in the emerald city. The combo consisted of: intriquite arms, a double pirouette into a pencil turn, a leap in second, a fan kick, axle turn, single turn stopped by a right battement. It really was adorable and a blast! We did the combo in groups of 3. They then made another cut..and I made it through!
They taught a group of 7 of us a more intricate/athletic dance combo that was for the Jitterbug scene.
This combo consisted of: a forced arch battement where they wanted you to 'wack' your forehead with your leg, a barrel turn, an over the log, a backwards roll on the ground, and a lot of opposition. (I have a huge bruise on my knee from this combo) Then they made another cut after we performed this combo in groups of 2!  I made it through!!
They asked 5 of us to stay to sing again and read from the script. I sang the song from my book that I had sung before. (They asked us to do that, so they could be reminded of our voice) Then we had to sing "ding dong the witch is dead" in a munchkin charactery voice. Then we had to read a scene where we were farmer munchkin. It was so fun and when I was done they said "great job and thank you." So, I made it to the last cut and now I'm hoping a recieve a call soon!!! If I got this job, then I would recieve equity points or become equity!  Regardless of the turn out...I had a blast acting crazy!

So, right after I finished my final callback, I ran outside to the streets of  new york and ran down the sidewalk (in my jazz shoes) to hail a taxi! While in the taxi...I freshened up and got 'camera ready'. I was let off at the ABC studios where they film "ONE LIFE TO LIVE" and "The View".
Nathan and I got called from the Casting Director last Friday to be extra's for a day on the ONE LIFE TO LIVE soap opera. (We sent in our headshots and resume's with a note that said "Please consider us for casting" in JANUARY, when we first moved to the city. And we got a gig 7 months later, ha!)

We were there for a total of 5 hours, and Nathan and I both were in 2 scenes. We were students at Llanview Univeristy. (the school where the two main girls, Starr and Langston are attending college)
We are in the background where they are registered for classes ( will air on AUGUST 31ST) and then inside the classroom where  a scandel is revealed! (will air on SEPTEMBER 17TH)
It was soooo funny shooting on a soap opera. The lighting was so dim and the girls hair and make up were PERFECT! There were SO many dramatic pauses where you could just imagine the intense dramatic music that they will insert! There was one line where the young girl says "I wonder who will be teaching our class?!" and then a handsome young man comes from behind her and says "I am..." and there was a huge pregnant pause where the camera zooms in on her face for like 10 seconds of her just shifting her eyes. (insert dramatic music) SO FUNNY.
Here are some pics from my cellphone while I was on set. (We were allowed to be on our phones in the scene, since we were playing college students...so I thought it was a great time to take pics of everything I saw...for you guys to see!)
The sign towards our dressing rooms

The man in the black jacket is one of the characters, about to step into the scene.

The girl's back you see is one of the lead girls...I'm behind her on my cellphone, in the scene.

These are the 2 lead girls shooting some dramatic scene. :)

This is the screen off set where you can see the different camera angles.

I also found out that STARTING PAY for a new lead character on this soap opera is.... $6,000 per week.
We had a great Thursday...super fun!

2 comments:

SJonesG said...

How cool to see the "behind the scenes" of a TV Show. This is all so fun! Wow, it took them a long time to get to your resume. How incredible it would be if they "see" something they like and one of you ends up a regular at $6,000 a week. Wow, talk about "living' in NYC.

I can't wait to hear more about the Wizard of Oz... hopefully they'll hire you as a munchkin and then in about two weeks you'll be starring as Glenda. That's how it seems to work for you! (Bob the Tomato, ha) Sure hope I get to hear you sing soon!!!

Love you both and so proud of you!

Anonymous said...

I REALLY wish I could have seen you go crazy! Makes me wonder if they did that just to get a good laugh ;)