Wednesday, March 6, 2013

February Calendar Auditions

Some of you have asked how many auditions we go to in a week. This number of course varies, but on average it's like 3 or 4 a week. Here is a picture of our Feb. calendar... now these are just auditions that we put in ourselves that we are right for. Meaning, every single one of these auditions - we think, we could be cast in according to our age, voice type, etc. We find auditions on free websites. There are a few that cost money to use, but we don't use them.


99% of these in Feb. were auditions for Equity Regional Theatres. The only Broadway audition was for the show Aladdin. Yes, the Disney movie Aladdin we all know and love is coming to Broadway in 2014. Now, they pretty much have their cast already because they did a sit down in Utah kind of like a showcase, very much like the Boston "Bombshell" part at the end of Season 1 in Smash for those of you who watch that show. So, it's kind of pointless to audition for Aladdin, but then again, you never know what might happen and apparently they were calling some females back for the role of Jasmine... I did audition but heard nothing:(
Examples: Feb. 7th Westchester Broadway - now this isn't a Broadway show called Westchester.. it's an Equity Theatre doing a season of shows in Westchester, NY and their theatre is called Westchester Broadway Theatre. Or... WBT. The more we've been in the business the more we learn about these theatres. It's crazy because this is where the majority of actors get work. It's not on Broadway or even Off-Broadway, it's Regional Theatre all around the country. They book gigs and travel to and from location doing different shows. For instance, many many Broadway veterans who can't get work on Broadway go to these auditions for Regional Theatres and hope to book out, not only to build their resume but to earn income and keep their health insurance. Being an actor is HARD! If, for instance Whitney or myself get on Broadway, it doesn't mean our careers are set and finally taking off forever. It means, finally, we have ONE GREAT credit on our resume and if the show or contract ends, than we'd be right back on our feet auditioning again like every other person. 

It's very true when so many people even our mentors have said, "If you're good at anything else, choose that as your career." Can you believe that advice? I remember hearing this from teachers. Well, I actually can't recall if I personally heard this from a teacher or if someone else told me they heard this from a teacher. Regardless though, it's an intense statement. 
I remember in high school when I heard about 2 people much older than me who had given up Musical Theatre and decided to teach. I thought, "How can they quit? They were sooo incredible? I looked up to their talent and their ambitions... that will never be me!" Now, that I'm in the middle of everything, I can totally give those 2 people grace. Because so much rejection in a week, a month, a few months... it takes a toll on your spirit. But, there is still a fire within me that is not completely blown out and as long as I have a fight in me - I gotta keep going. No regrets right? 
You know when you play Club Cranium and you get the answer wrong and then your team moves on the slow track? That's how it feels. Every rejection is like we are back on the slow track and all we want is an offer so that for awhile we can be on the fast track.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am humbled by your blog! Don't compromise who you are. You are doing the right thing and you will know what to do next.
Love and support from Mom/Beth

SJonesG said...

Ditto on what Mom #1 said! I just LOVE getting to see and hear you all perform and I hope you get cast again soon so I can come see/hear you!! You all are the BEST!!