Sunday, March 10, 2013

Opening Night of ANN on Broadway

      I just started a new side job here in the city. I sell merchandise for Ann, a new play on Broadway at Lincoln Center and also for Stomp, the Off Broadway show.
    Ann is based on Ann Richards, a once governor of Texas who had a big personality. Holland Taylor is the actress who portrays Ann and is the only character and actor in this 2 hour production. She also is the playwright, and did I mention she is 70 years old. SO AMAZING!
     Opening night was this past Thursday night and the producers were kind enough to invite the house staff including the ushers, bar staff and merchandise sellers (thats me!). This means that I was thrown into a gorgeous party at the PLAZA HOTEL with guests attending such as Anne Hathaway, Gloria Steinem, Laura Linney, and I'm sure many more that I just didn't recognize in person. There was a huge open bar, open buffet, and a pianist playing all night. It looked like a beautiful wedding reception. I just kept thinking..."Is this what it is like to attend an opening night party on Broadway?" (lets hope this experience is a foreshadowing of things to come for me and Nathan, hA!)

      The only awkward thing was that I didn't know a single soul in the room. I had my drink in my hand (because that always makes you look like you belong somehow) and I just kept watching people. I finally recognized someone and found out that he had attended Belmont University! What are the chances? We had graduated the same year, and he was a Music Business major. He worked on the advertising for the show Ann and was leaving advertising to pursue a performing career. I was thankful to have a friend at the party, and we both tried to find a way to meet up with Anne Hathaway, of course! :)
      Anne was bombarded with many people. She was talking and smiling non stop to everyone who came up to her. I'm pretty certain most of the people who greeted her were people that she had met before. I was practicing in my head what I would say to her just in case we were to meet, but she ended up leaving about an hour after she arrived. I'm sure she was exhausted from all the attention.
      I stayed for about 2.5 hours and then finally went home. It was a magical night. I don't know if I'll ever forget walking home in the snow in my red coat and black heels after being at the same party as Anne Hathaway at the Plaza Hotel.
       



4 comments:

SJonesG said...

Yes. this is a foreshadowing of things to come for you and Nathan! How fun!!!

SJonesG said...

....I read that Anne Hathaway's mother, Kate Hathaway, is the Broadway producer of the show "Ann." Hummm, another young star who has famous parents. There are so many children of Celebrities who want in the business it hardly leaves room for those trying to break in who do not have an in-road from famous parents. Anne Hathaway is an exception though, she is very talented. Her performance in Les Mis was fabulous.

SJonesG said...

Here's what I found on the internet about the party. Oh My Gosh!! There were some Major Stars there!!

Anne Hathaway looked very proud of mom Kate Hathaway Thursday at the opening of “Ann,” Holland Taylor’s one-woman show about feisty Texas politician Ann Richards at Lincoln Center’s Vivian Beaumont Theater. Kate produced the new play along with a team including Jon Cryer, who stars as Taylor’s son on “Two and a Half Men.” Also at the opening, and a Plaza after-party, was a pack of power women including Gloria Steinem, Judith Light, Linda Lavin, Lily Tomlin, Laura Linney, Kathleen Turner, Elaine Stritch and Richards’ daughter, Cecile, a former Planned Parenthood president. Taylor first met Richards at Le Cirque, then spent four years researching for the show.

Anonymous said...

So cool Whitney, and YES the drink in your hand.....just sipping.... Observing....gliding about the room.....being ready! JUST IN CASE! I love it
Mom/Beth