Saturday, August 13, 2011

Not Musical Theatre Theme Park Boot Camp

Saturday, 5:45pm the ending to our work week.
   Our time here in Florida is going really well. It's just been amazing to be together again and performing. I keep thanking my lucky stars for this opportunity since it's been so long since Whit and I have been in a contract together. Going into this contract, we were both very skeptical because we've heard so many different stories about cruise work. Honestly, the material they've given us isn't terrible! The music is challenging in the sense that we are doing so many different styles and our creative team is really great and pushes us. Not in the way Hershey Park did (musical theatre theme park boot camp) say that three times fast, but they push us in a way that makes us really think about every lyric and every step. Why are we dancing? What are we saying and why? Make it real for you and for the audience. There hasn't been a lot of pressure of impressing anyone really. Which is always nice! I think it may be due to the fact that we just have more time to rehearse. I can't remember the last contract we've had where we've spent so much time rehearsing. Except I guess for Sight & Sound. Everyone here is extremely talented as well. Pretty much any of our dancers in our show could be on Broadway, except for the fact that most of them are tone deaf:( But seriously, these dancers are sooo good! They're learning soo much!!! The other four singers are also very talented. They can belt, they can sing legit (classical). I'm getting really excited about the cruise part, being able to see many different places in the Caribbean.

For those of you family members who are wondering about the discount... We basically found out that there isn't much of one... big surprise right? It turns out that the discount doesn't go into effect until 6 months after our contract began which means not until February, March. The discount is only 10% and they add on gratuity charges you would spend on the dining area when eating, so once this is added it pretty much is the same price you would pay if going through a travel agent or booking yourself.

However, we did find out that the least expensive time to go on a cruise ship is in September and January. November, December, and March are the busiest and most expensive. We've also heard that it might be best to go through a travel agent to include airfare to and from Orlando, FL. We'll keep you all updated if we hear any other good deals.

Whitney and I live with three other girls. The apartment living for rehearsals are split up guys and girls. They actually were going to split up me and Whitney but we said that's not a possibility and made them change it. Needless to say, I'm living with all women again, big surprise... story of my life. Our roommate Erin is amazing. She has a car and drives us where we may need to go and also cooks... all the time. We have homemade pasta salad, chili, banana bread, and chicken enchiladas. She's amazing!! This will be her 10 contract with Royal Caribbean :o

Tonight we are going to our Vocal Director's apartment for some wine and cheese:) His name is Benjamin Bryant and crazy cool fact about him, he was in the Broadway revival of "The King and I" in 1996. He was in the ensemble and was the Lun Tha understudy.

1 comment:

SJonesG said...

sounds like a great contract! good food, good friends, good entertainment. what a great change of pace from NYC. I cant wait to see and hear you all perform again! We will def be there at least twice while you're in this contract. I hope to bring little Ella with us also!!