Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Believe it or not

Believe it or not we are posting a blog! WOAH has it been awhile or what?! Well, if you're one of the few people who keep up with this thing than congratulations and we apologize for not posting in such a long time. We've been extremely busy as most New Yorkers are. This post will just be a recap / update on what has been going on in our lives since the show Joseph closed at the Fulton Theatre in PA.

Hmmm.... Well my parents (Mark and Beth) drove all the way from Iowa to see our closing show in Lancaster PA and only minutes after we took our last bow Whitney and I got in the car with mom and dad and made our way to Colorado for our Mallie Family Reunion. I hadn't been since 6 years ago so I was thrilled to be bringing my wife and introducing her to my mom's side of the family that primarily live on the west coast. Yes we drove in one car with my parents across county to Breckinridge Colorado. It only took 3.5 days... haha. It actually ended up being on the best road trips I've ever had. Such fun memories.



The family reunion went from July 3-7 then back to Iowa flying back to NYC on July 10th. July was a month of work, a few select auditions and prepping for our dear friends wedding that took place on August 4th (Whit's Bday).

 August 4th was a huge highlight of our summer. Our two great friends Kara and Michael tied the knot on the perfect day in upstate NY. A lot of friends were there. Whitney was a bridesmaid and I sang. SUCH A BLAST!!!!



Immediately after the wedding we hopped on a plane to Cleveland TN to visit Whitney's family for almost a week. The highlight of our trip there was when we went to the Cumberland Caverns and listened to a bluegrass band sing contemporary radio pop songs. Hilarious I might add!



The ending of August is kind of a blur because we were working constantly. One of my very best buds from home Eric came and visited for a long weekend which again soooo fun! Man, this summer might go down in the books has pretty EPIC. We did so many things with him in the city. Mets bball game, many hang out nights - including the VMAs. We so badly want him to move to the East coast to be closer to us so hopefully that can happen!



 Biking in the city ended up being such a blast! Our landlord lets us use his 2 bikes any time we please! So grateful!!

Bareburger!! Amazing unique all organic burgers in Astoria. Homemade Mandarin Orange Soda. YUM!
 This globe picture is in Flushing Queens where Citifield is and the US Open.

 5 Pointz Park in Queens. A whole bunch of graffiti. Incredible art work.


Amongst all this perfect chaos Whitney and I decided to give our living room a face lift. So while working 9-5 jobs we come home and paint / assemble Ikea furniture. We both have been doing a ton of research via pinterest and designer blogs to get inspiration / ideas. It's been a lot of hard work, determination, and patience. Luckily our roommates Maria and Aaron have been incredible in helping and understanding our mess! It's coming along very nicely and are so excited to see the finished product. We hired a designer off of Groupon to come look at our home and give us ideas on what we could do. He gave us the idea of painting our bookshelves a pop of color and doing some kind of pattern whether it was on the curtains, rug, or ceiling... I couldn't trust that the ceiling would turn out so we decided on the workstation wall. He gave us some great pointers in mixing textiles in pillows and using different shapes throughout the room. He mentioned our room was only filled with hard square lines. We would have NEVER noticed that.. haha. Hopefully once all said and done we have enough geometric shapes to please the eye.

 Here is our dining room filled to the max with our living room crap. eeek

This is roughly what the outcome of our living room will look like. Wondering how I did this? It's an AWESOME FREE website where you can custom create your design. It's soo easy and fun. http://austin.roomstyler.com/
Finishing pics to come!

Whitney will be leaving me and NYC in 2 weeks to perform in Les Mis at Beef and Boards Dinner Theatre in Indianapolis. She is getting her equity card!!! YAY!!! But she will be gone for 2.5 months:( That is a very long time. But we are buying flights now actually to break that long distance. So I'll come her opening weekend and the beginning of November. She will be playing the role of Cosette. If you know that show, she is the daughter of Jean Valjean and sings high solos. Yay, Whitney's first time getting paid to sing legit! I am currently working these random catering and temp jobs until I find another performing job.

Currently we are both working for Ralph Lauren at the US Open in Flushing Queens. We get to watch the games after our shifts if we want to. So cool and such a great experience.

Our agency, yes if you don't know, Whitney and I have the same agent here in NYC, anyway, our agency has been really great and been getting us into some really incredible auditions. Unfortunately the business is just sooo freaking competitive and there are many many actors who either have been in the business longer/more experienced, or they're just better than us. OR... they know someone.. BOO!! Well one day. one day. I'm excited for Autumn to arrive but will be sad to see summer go. It went by so quickly.

Stay tuned for our living room pics. Our goal is to finish by September 10th.

3 comments:

SJonesG said...

So glad you're back. It's amazing to me that although I feel like I talk to you all pretty often and know what's happening in your life there are still so many things I learn when you blog! Can't wait to see your living room make-over! Funny, cause I told FG last night that we either had to move soon or I was selling all the furniture and redecorating all over again! This is the longest I've lived in one house so I'm ready to decorate another one. I want to switch to all modern! I'll have to share my "private" board on pinterest where I've been collecting my ideas.

Anonymous said...

I love your upbeat blogging and living! I thought your apartment HAD great artistic design! I remember Dad saying "Nathan has to have change in his life!" (Like that was a problem! Ha!)

Anonymous said...

I also love how you include both families and friends. Where was the pic of you and Eric with that backdrop taken? Great pics!
Love, Mom/Beth