Sunday, July 24, 2011

Here's the story on SP Tour

Here is the story on the South Pacific Tour... what happened exactly?
While Whitney and I were away on our family / friends vacation, Whitney got a call from the Networks Tour offering her an ensemble track and the understudy of Nellie in the National Tour of South Pacific. It would be the same production as it was on Broadway as far as costumes and sets... but the tour is non equity, which means not as much money. However, this is the first tier of the non equity tour for this specific show. As we were weighing our options we agreed that there would be NO way we could spend 9 months apart. She called back a few days later and explained our situation and asked if they were looking for another male ensemble member. We found out that yes they needed a couple of other guys and that they were holding an open call for men on July 18th. We contacted the Casting Director, Dave Clemmons, and he was on board for me coming and even gave me an invited call (which means I don't have to wait in line to get seen, I can just come on in when I get there.) We were pumped! The only thing I was skeptical about was the fact that in the breakdown of the two characters they were trying to fill was that they needed an African American and a body builder looking man. Hmm... I'm neither of those types... what does this mean? I thought, oh well - there's nothing I can do... unless I shoot up some pretty intense steroids or go in blackface, they'll have to hire me merely off of my talent.
I felt really great about my audition and they even asked me to sing "Younger Than Springtime" which is Lieutenant Cable's love song. After I sang through the first verse and part of the chorus I was asked to stay and dance. They called back 14 other guys to dance and I definitely was the best one... not to gloat or anything but I knew I nailed it. However... again... I was for sure the odd man out. We auditioned in groups of 2 - 3 and while I was auditioning, in the combination we were to jump up and pretend like we caught a baseball. They had some pretty low ceiling fans and as my hand reached for the "ball" my hand hit the fan as it was on... ouch! The choreographer noticed and asked if I was okay... while I'm still dancing... I say yes and keep on trucking. After the first time of the routine - he asked again and told me I didn't have to do the dance a second time. My hand... now bleeding... I say... naahh it's cool! So I dance the second time and it went great! I left feeling really great about everything. I told myself, if anything... they'll remember the guy with the bloody hand who pushed through with no complaints:) After we all danced, we were let go. And I got a call about 30 minutes later explaining that they really appreciated my talent but unfortunately they were looking for very specific types and I didn't fit what they were really needing. If only I had gotten the original callback back when we first auditioned. I don't think I will ever understand the process of casting. They told me I was perfect for the show but they already filled the roles I'm right for. This we believe is God's work. Obviously the Cruise Contract is where the Lord wants us and we are excited for what He has planned. Thanks everyone for your prayers and support in this crazy transition. We leave very early Wednesday morning. We have begun the process of making piles of clothes we will be bringing... yikes! How does one pack for 9 months?

No comments: